UCL Maths Challenge 2010/2011
The new academic year has started and with it, this year's UCL Maths Challenge events. We would be delighted if you could take part in this award-winning project! Below is basic information on aims, dates, events and what to do if you'd like to participate.
We have 2 main aims:
- Present mathematics to Year 6 (or Year 5) children in a way that would get them interested and engaged in the subject. We want them to think "outside the box", work as a team and be able to present their arguments to others.
- Expose them to a university setting and its students in a playful way, perhaps lead them to aspire to higher education in the future.
The dates of our challenges are as follows:
- Monday, November 29th, 2010, 9.30am-2pm - A team competition combining problem-solving with playing a simple strategy game.
- The week of January 31st, 2011 - Different mathematics-related activities around UCL, where teams will have to orient themselves with the help of a map and a student volunteer.
- The week of March 7th, 2011 - A quiz show, where special attention will be given to explaining and analysing their solutions.
All events will take place at UCL, the specific dates of the second and third stage are to be announced nearer the time. However, if you have any special requests (for example, you would definitely not want the event to be held on a Friday), please do let us now.
If you'd like to participate:
- The deadline to register for the November event is Friday, November 12th. Unfortunately, we might have to turn you down due to lack of space or volunteers, if you register after this deadline.
- To register, send an email to uclmathschallenge at googlemail dot com ASAP stating:
- Which events you are able to come to (you do not have to attend all three if some of the dates don't suit, but each competition is different, so coming to more than one would not be repetitive).
- How many pupils you are able to bring (we usually expect 12 Year 6 pupils per school).
For more information, send an email to either uclmathschallenge at googlemail dot com or m dot dravecka at ucl dot ac dot uk.
We are looking forward to seeing you in November!
UCL Maths Challenge 2010/2011 team